Friday, November 23, 2018
No one likes bad breath, or intentionally wants to have bad breath. Yet somehow bad breath develops for many reasons such as forgetting to brush our teeth or simply neglecting to care for our oral health.
Our mission at TLS Orthodontics is for you to feel comfortable and welcomed in our office. Our warm and comfortable family atmosphere allows for us to develop healthy routines, alongside with our patients on taking care of our teeth before, during and after orthodontic treatment.
Most people do not know the different types of mouthwash and each of their different purpose. Mouthwash is an essential part of a good oral hygiene routine, that often goes unnoticed.
1. Fluoride Mouthwash:
You’ve heard how fluoride helps your teeth. Well fluoride in mouthwashes, does just that and helps protect your teeth from cavities and tooth decay.
2. Antiseptic Mouthwash:
This is the most common type of mouthwash that is found is most households. You may probably have some in your cabinet. This type of mouthwash contains alcohol and used to eliminate bad breath and fight infections in your mouth. Along with brushing your teeth and flossing, all three work together to fight bad breath and bacteria.
3. Cosmetic Mouthwash:
The only benefit of this mouthwash, to your oral health care is to mask bad breath.
Next time you are shopping for a type of mouthwash, pay attention to which type you are buying. If you have any questions on orthodontic treatment or oral health care routines, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Monday, October 22, 2018
October is here! That means Halloween, fall, spooky costumes and tasty treats are just a few of our favorite things on Halloween night. There are endless amounts of free treats, all delicious and filled with sugar. Halloween can be a tricky time for those who just received orthodontic treatment. The hard candy is too hard, the sticky candy is too sticky for your braces and teeth, and the crunchy type of candy can damage your braces.
Here are a few fun recipes’ that will be tasty and delicious on Halloween. Remember to always stick to your routine, brushing and flossing your teeth.
What You Need:
- 1 ¼ cup milk
- 1 tablespoon chocolate syrup
- 1 large scoop chocolate ice cream
- 1 large scoop vanilla ice cream
- 2 Oreo cookies, finely crushed
- 1 soft ghost-shaped marshmallow
- Combine milk, chocolate syrup and both scoops of ice cream in a blender.
- Mix well and pour into clear glass.
- Sprinkle a layer of the finely crushed cookies onto the top of the shake.
- Then, set the ghost-shaped marshmallow in the shake to make it appear as though it’s rising out of the top. Serve immediately.
- Makes one serving.
What You Need:
- 3 boxes instant vanilla pudding
- 1 teaspoon red food coloring
- 1/2 teaspoon yellow food coloring one 9-ounce package plain chocolate wafers
- 6 cups milk chocolate syrup to taste
- One 8-ounce can mandarin oranges, drained
Combine pudding mix and milk in a large bowl as directed on the package. Refrigerate until firm. Crush chocolate wafers into crumbs, using a food processor, or put the wafers into a plastic food storage bag and crush with a rolling pin.
Combine red and yellow food coloring in a small bowl. Stir into pudding thoroughly, until pudding is orange. Alternate layers of pudding with layers of chocolate crumbs in a parfait cup or glass for a total of three layers of pudding. Top each layer of crumbs with chocolate syrup to taste before adding the next pudding layer. Top each parfait with mandarin oranges and additional chocolate wafer crumbs.
Makes eight 8-ounce servings.
Thursday, September 20, 2018
We recognize that every patient has different needs, and we pride ourselves in the courteous service we deliver to each person who walks through our doors. Whether you're an adult, adolescent or child, our knowledgeable doctors and staff are committed to helping you achieve the smile you deserve - a healthy, beautiful one!
We see family of all types and love to see the initiative to keep your family’s teeth healthy. Here are a few tips to ensure your family is in tip top shape before their next visit with us.
- Brush Your Teeth Together: Make brushing your teeth a routine every morning and every night. Stick to the routine and ensure that you and your family keep a specific time for brushing your teeth, this will build a great daily habit.
- Flossing is Key: Flossing every day is even more important when you have braces. If you’re having trouble flossing, just use a floss threader with regular floss, or buy special stiff-tipped floss made for braces wearers.
- Use Mouthwash: Using mouthwash, especially during orthodontic treatment is so important. Mouthwash can easily remove food debris from areas that are difficult to reach with a toothbrush or floss. After brushing and flossing, you can swish it around your mouth for a minimum of 30 seconds. This will remove any lingering bacteria and will even help with inflammation of the gums.
Saturday, August 25, 2018
Back to school season is officially here! Kids have returned back to school and the normal routines have begun. As summer comes to an end and fall season returns, it can be a busy time for parents and their children. New activities and new routines, it’s easy to forget simple check-ups to the orthodontist.
Why is it important for a check-up during back-to-school season? This is the time to schedule an appointment to measure the progress of your child’s orthodontic treatment. This will ensure your child's treatment is on schedule.
If your child is playing fall sports, be sure to get a mouthguard specifically designed for your child. This is the perfect time to ensure your child is on the road to a healthy beautiful smile. Our main goal at TLS Orthodontics is for you to feel comfortable and welcomed in our office. We strive to have a warm and comfortable family atmosphere.
Monday, July 2, 2018
Why should you choose an orthodontic specialist?
Teeth, and sometimes entire facial structures, are permanently changed by orthodontic treatment. It is important that the treatment be appropriate and properly completed. Orthodontic specialists have extensive and specialized training that enables them to provide their patients with professional, personalized treatments.
Is it too late to have braces if I am already an adult?
A surprising percentage of our patients are adults. In fact, 25 percent of all orthodontic patients are adults. Health, happiness and self-esteem are vitally important to adults. No patient is "too old" to wear braces!
Can orthodontic correction occur while a child has baby teeth?
Yes. Some orthodontic problems are significant enough to require early intervention. However, if a patient is not yet ready for treatment, we will follow that patient's growth and development until the time is right for treatment to begin.
Do I need to see my family dentist while in braces?
Yes! Regular checkups with your family dentist are important while in braces. Your family dentist will determine the intervals between cleaning appointments while you are in braces.
Tuesday, June 26, 2018
Summer is here! A good oral hygiene routine is the foundation to a healthy smile, especially for young children. For parents, leading by example, should establish healthy habits like brushing, cleaning between your teeth and seeing your dentist. This ultimately leads to the big difference in the health and happiness of your entire family and in children, less fears about visiting their dentist.
Here are a few tips from the American Dental Association that are a great reminder to enforce.
Start a Routine and Stick to It:
You may be tempted to let your child skip brushing after a long day or during times when your normal schedule is off (like vacation), but keep at it. The more second nature brushing becomes the easier it will be to make sure your child is brushing twice a day for two minutes.
Learn how to apply the right amount of toothpaste for your child.
Every parent celebrates the milestones in the first year, first words, first steps, first teeth.
Friday, May 11, 2018
Here at TLS Orthodontics, our goal has always been to create beautiful smiles and grow self-esteem in our patients. We love the personal relationships that develop and that last a lifetime with our patients.
- Dr. Skelton will personally diagnose your case and see you at every visit until your new smile has been achieved.
- We are known for the incredible level of service we provide, and the fabulous results we are able to achieve. We are proud of our warm, home-like atmosphere, where patients and family are greeted and treated like guests.
- You may choose from traditional silver or clear braces at the beginning of treatment.
- Flexible payment arrangements are available. To help maximize your insurance benefits, we will provide billing for your insurance company.
Dr. Skelton and her team will treat you as if you are part of their family, and that simple concept will make your treatment an extraordinary experience for all.
We will do our best because we want each patient to have the best possible smile and feel comfortable in recommending us to their friends.
No one likes bad breath, or intentionally wants to have bad breath. Yet somehow bad breath develops for many reasons such as forgetting t...
Now that you have your braces, what foods can you still enjoy? While some foods are off limits, d on't worry, you'll be eati...
Choosing the best dental floss to use is dependent on the consumer's preference. The fact is there is a ton of different floss...
Why should you choose an orthodontic specialist? Teeth, and sometimes entire facial structures, are permanently changed by orthodonti...